图书馆订阅: Guest
Begell Digital Portal Begell 数字图书馆 电子图书 期刊 参考文献及会议录 研究收集
等离子医学
SJR: 0.278 SNIP: 0.183 CiteScore™: 0.57

ISSN 打印: 1947-5764
ISSN 在线: 1947-5772

等离子医学

DOI: 10.1615/PlasmaMed.2016016815
pages 125-134

Plasma-Tissue Interactions in Argon Plasma Coagulation: Effects of Power and Tissue Resistance

Eda Gjika
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, School of Engineering and Applied Science, George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA
David Scott
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, School of Engineering and Applied Science, George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA
Alexey Shashurin
The George Washington University; School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
Taisen Zhuang
US Medical Innovations (USMI), LLC Corporate Headquarters, Takoma Park, MD, USA
Jerome Canady
Jerome Canady Research Institute for Advanced Biological and Technological Sciences, US Medical innovation LLC, Takoma Park, MD, USA
Michael Keidar
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, The George Washington University, Science and Engineering Hall, 800 22nd Street, NW, Room 3550, Washington, DC 20052, USA

ABSTRACT

The coagulation properties of the argon plasma coagulation (APC) technique present tremendous potential for a wide range of endoscopic applications. Although several studies have explored the endoscopic application of this technique, there has been no previous research about the relevant argon plasma properties during coagulation. We have investigated the role of power in the interactions between plasma and biological tissue, and have reported on the dielectric properties of the APC treated samples. The data revealed that at a resistance of 1 kΩ, the applied power was within 10% to 15% of the power setting, and the average resistance of the animal samples was between 0.8 and 3.7 kΩ. The data also suggested that the amount of power applied could be adjusted according to the expected tissue resistance range. Additionally, it was determined that the burned surface caused by the APC treatment was on average two to three times less conductive than the untreated surface. The data also revealed that 60%−80% of the power produced by the electrosurgical generator was delivered into the biological tissue, and the plasma channel consumed the remaining 20%−40%. This study establishes a guide for the investigation of optimal argon thermal plasma properties for biological tissue application.


Articles with similar content:

A Microsecond-Pulsed Cold Plasma Jet for Medical Application
Plasma Medicine, Vol.6, 2016, issue 2
Keping Yan, Yifan Huang, Hongqiang Jiang, Chao Zheng, Yanqin Kou, Zhen Liu, Anna Zhu
The Plasma Treatment Unit: An Attempt to Standardize Cold Plasma Treatment for Defined Biological Effects
Plasma Medicine, Vol.8, 2018, issue 2
Sander Bekeschus, Abraham Lin, Alexander A. Fridman, Klaus-Dieter Weltmann, Vandana Miller, Kristian Wende
Effect of Oxygen on Decontamination of Cumin Seeds by Atmospheric Pressure Dielectric Barrier Discharge Plasma
Plasma Medicine, Vol.6, 2016, issue 3-4
Kyana Mohammadi, Soheila Abdi, Davoud Dorranian
CALCULATION OF RF PLASMA TORCH PARAMETERS BY MEANS OF NON−EQUILIBRIUM MODEL OF AR PLASMA
Progress in Plasma Processing of Materials, 2001, Vol.0, 2001, issue
D. Ivanov, Jacques Amouroux, Shi Nguen-Kuok, Sergey V. Dresvin
PLANE PLASMA DISCHARGE APPLICATION FOR TRIODE SPUTTERING
Progress in Plasma Processing of Materials, 2003, Vol.0, 2003, issue
A. AXELEVITCH, G. GOLAN